My first ever Blog
One does not need expensive materials to create beautiful and useful mixed media creations.
I love recycling and using things that I have to hand.
Ooops, I forgot to mention masking tape. Fabric hardeners do not adhere well to plastic. All will now be explained in the following step by step instructions. Please comment if you have any questions.
This is a very simple project that costs very little in materials but the end result is a really attractive flower pot. I used an empty plastic container that contained yogurt. Sculptin and other Fabric Hardeners do not adhere well to plastic so I covered the outside of the pot and the inside rim with masking tape. Then using a paint brush, a layer of Grey Sculptin was applied to the top of the pot. Using a strip of gauze I placed it around the pot and tucked a little to the inside. Using my fingers I secured it so it would not slip.
I find using the gauze saves using a lot of hardener. When applied using a paintbrush, the gauze, a natural fabric, soaks up the liquid well . I planned placing the wooden lolly sticks side by side around the outside of the pot but they were too long so on to plan B, breaking them. I ensured that the pot was well soaked then laid the pot on its side , (this prevents the wood from slipping) After placing about 5 pieces painted on both sides on the pot I used a hairdryer to dry them slightly before moving on. Lastly string was bound around the pot.
Using the paintbrush the string was thoroughly soaked with the Sculptin then dried with a hair dryer before dry brushing the surface with white acrylic. Dry brushing is when the majority of paint is removed from the brush on to a paper towel before stroking lightly over the surface. This highlights the texture and creates contrast giving it depth. Next a pale turquoise paint was used in the same manner.
Being a little bit of a lazy lady, I decided to use the same pot to show different painting effects so I covered the pot with a layer of dark brown Sculptin and allowed it to dry.
I got so carried away with the painting that I forgot to take enough photos of the in between stages. To create the lush red pot I dry brushed with white acrylic, followed by yellow then red which created a lovely orange shade. Finally I dry brushed a little yellow in some places.
Experiment with different colours and remember if you are not happy with it you can always paint it over again and start all over.
Well that was easy wasn’t it!
The gauze is great for creating that initial layer of texture and it is really inexpensive.
With the pot on the left I used only gauze which I placed on the pot, covered it in the hardener then pushed it around with the paintbrush to form lots of texture.
When dry I dry brushed it with white then yellow acrylic.
This was the first project in my series
Mixed Media on a Budget
By Birdy Heywood
Many more projects to follow.
For Sculptin Supplies and information on workshops in the UK visit the website:
I hope I have managed to post the PDF. Comments on this article welcome.